St. Louis Wandering

Thursday, June 24, 2010

The sunrise brought a weather surprise that made the day much better than we expected…And made the anticipated “birdwatching” that evening look better than we had hoped.

From the hotel room this is what greeted me when I rolled out of bed…

A cool front was moving through the area as I watched that morning. The day promised to be pleasantly warm and not as uncomfortably hot as it had been all week.

After a late breakfast, we wandered across the Interstate behind the hotel to enjoy the park surrounding the Arch. Of course there were photo opportunities to be had.

Taken from the middle of the intersection, the photo above just had to be snapped.

Then, once we were across the street, another shot presented of the same steeple…

We then wandered into the park and headed for the Arch itself.

I must admit standing at the base of the Arch left you with a feeling of smallness…Quite impressive.


Blue skies and blue steel…Man and nature…History and today…It all comes together at this point.

Tomorrow we will go “Birdwatching”

2 thoughts on “St. Louis Wandering”

  1. Gary:

    Thanks for bringing back some memories. I lived in the St. Louis area from 1969-81 while working as a reporter for The Alton Telegraph just upriver on the Illinois side of the Mississippi and spent many hours exploring the arch and the surrounding area.

    My wife appeared at the Goldenrod Showboat on the riverfront as the resident heroine in their melodramas for a number of years. Sadly, the riverboat now sits upriver in disrepair, caught up in legal tangles.

    Did you take a trip to the top of the arch?

    Forest Park in midtown is also worth a visit.

    1. Doug, I hope the memories were mostly good ones.

      We spent a total of two nights and one day in St. Louis, so our siteseeing was pretty limited. We really didn’t have the time for a trip to the top, though we spent about an hour wandering through the museum.

      We wandered along the river as we left. The road along the river was closed due to high water. None of the access to the riverboats was open…

Join the conversation...